Wednesday, April 2, 2014

May I Come In : Reny's Nautical Abode

You remember that time when the height of cool was remembering the “My Heart Will Go On” lyrics verbatim, or trying the Titanic pose every time you are on a ferry boat or any boat or near water or just because there are 2 of you? I, actually, went through a phase from 1997-2002 where I believed I will meet the temporary love of my life (come-on I will not marry a hippie for crying out loud!!) with casual wind-swept hair, talking to me about art and living for the moment (home loans be damned!!), on a ship. Then came the Internet revolution and this whole “mistakes in the movie TITANIC” kinda extensive researches, Leo’s (yeah I can call him that) conscious departure from cute-boyish to serious-rugged style, it all made me sigh and move on. My love for the vast open ocean and the dream of a cruise trip is still intact, though. So imagine my thrill when I get to meet Reny who shares the same love, actually more, much much more. So much more that when it came to building his house, he built it totally around the look of a ship’s interior. 

Come along with us as we take a tour of our very first theme-based home. Let me first properly introduce Reny. Reny Joseph, who works in the Merchant Navy, is the proud owner of this nautical themed home, along with his lovely wife Reena . He claims the ocean to be his first, oops, second (sorry Reena) love and with a man totally smitten, he displayed his love in his home. The theme has been played along with a lot of usage of sturdy wood, glimpse of which you receive as soon as you enter. The first thing you notice is the massive wooden door with the glass cut-outs making the sun-light do a jig of their own. I am actually imagining a tail-coat wearing door-man opening it for me with Celine Dion providing the background score (I am still at –it with my Titanic references – Gawwdd I am stuck in the 90s!!).



Enter and you will be thrilled to see this boat shaped seat, it’s sooooo pretty that it deserves some serious petting. It also doubling up as a functional shoe-rack, only adds to its charm.




Go forward and you will meet the pièce de ré·sis·tance of the house in this central square vestibule which totally gives you the feeling of the ocean under your feet. The lovely blue color, the mosaic pillars around and the big Jesus frame gives it a very surreal outer-body vibe. 


Anyone else falling in love with the chandelier?? 


This is how it looks, right above the water vestibule, if this is not awesome, I don’t know what is. 


If you thought the thematic representation ends here, then you are yet to see the staircase. Rings a bell??


It has been designed just like that of a ship and leads to the upper deck,oops floor. Even the ceiling around the water vestibule has a wooden ladder design, totally nailing the theme. Also love the tiered pendant lights


Right above the dining table, the ceiling boasts of some major TLC. I am absolutely in love with those dual colored light fixture completely owning the dining area from up above. Also I love how Reny has actually implemented his ideas on beautifying the ceiling, something we mostly neglect.




Even with the furniture they have gone the ship-like minimalist route with all leather upholstery, solid wood and stark colors.



Can the knick-knacks and accessories be untouched by the theme, like this ship steer-like clock adding a perfect mini-punch.




To get rid of an over-dose of the nautical theme and avoid a bout of sea-sickness (joke, ha ha), Reny’s parents took charge and steered the ship towards Egypt, in the bathroom. Going for all modern fixtures, they added a twist in the wash-basin and the wall tiles. The carving on the Wash basin and the tiles are nothing short of sheer genius. 



Now comes the best part, let’s play favorites. I am absolutely Leonardo-teenage-crush like in love with the Boat shaped seating and the central vestibule. What about you, tell us your favorite via the comment section. Will you ever build a house around a theme, if yes then what will be that theme? Tell us all, until next time, happy decorating :).

P.S. : Do you have a home or a corner of your home that you would like to share, right here on this blog? Submit your story and some photos to housefliesanonymous@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment